
Rich people have so much crap. I mean sure, they can afford it. Lord knows I’d love to have an overabundance of money (and Monolos), but seriously, does anyone really need six blue micro-mini’s in their closet?
The offence doesn’t come with the ‘having’ but the ‘duplicating’. I have built a life (and a closet) on the strictly managed principles of quality and quantity control. I have one of everything. Do I have 'everything'? Debatably, but suffice it to say that there are no gaping holes (literal or figurative) in my closet. But I also limit the quantity to One. One pair of black dress pants, one white (and blue and pink and gray and brown and black) blazer, one formal cocktail dress and one skanky one. And they are all of the highest quality.
Despite my perpetual marginal employment, I refuse to shop at JC Penny or even buy Missoni for Target. It’s not that I’d rather go naked than wear fur, but that I’d rather go naked than wear faux.
So how do I make this happen? I shop at Marshalls. I swear by consignment shops. And if I see it and I love it, even if I don’t need it at that moment, I buy it. ‘Outrageous!’ they protest. But seriously-- how often have you been asked to cocktails and found a perfectly appropriate, high-end party dress at 50% off, that very day? Doesn’t happen.
If you’re crafty and patient enough, this can be a successful strategy. For example, I only buy denim if it’s over 70% off. Because of this, I have only 3 pears of jeans. Two pares were bought 3 or more years ago. But you’d never know it, cause you’ll be too distracted by how great they make my ass look.
I also have a policy of wearing exclusively cashmere sweaters. Sounds elitist, right? Well they’re purchased in the height of the summer, when retailers have buried them at the bottom of the discount bins. But as any good northeasterner knows, winter is always on the way. So plan ahead.
But I digress—the purpose of this particular post is not to flaunt my secret frugality, but rather to bemoan a seeming disregard among the affluent for simple economics. I mean really- does anyone, wealthy or well-fare, need six pares of black booties? Or four interchangeable blouses? Or a closet full of clothes they neither organize let alone incorporate into an outfit? It upsets me, really, that needless repetition and impulsive purchasing are corrupting so many upper-crust closets.
So cut the crap, richies, and clean out that closet. And while you’re at it, donate the discards to the local goodwill. Some of us are trolling for leftovers.