Friday, December 16

Crush-Dressing


I have a crush on a boy. He’s supercute, supersmart, and we ‘click’. He makes me blush, and want to type winking emoticons as I write this.

I knew my affections had moved from casual attraction to an actual crush when I found myself altering my wardrobe choices based on whether we were working together or not. I would get dressed, accessorize, and take a casual glance at the daily schedule. If I looked extra cute and the boy wasn’t working, I would change, ‘saving’ the outfit for a day when he was. This happened two or three times before I started checking the schedule in advance.

If he isn’t on, it’s a perfect opportunity to wear the pants that are a bit too big on my ass, or the bulky sweater which I love but does nothing for the boobs. Likewise, I save my shorter skirts, tighter tops, and hair-down days for times when the boy will be around. I’m crush-dressing.

It’s so silly really—the differences in my actual aesthetic are so minute that I’m sure (or I hope) no one else is even aware. But I feel better if I look my best. That’s basic biology—fluffing plumage and all that.

The irony of course is that in all other realms of the animal kingdom, it’s the male who is adorned with bright colors and elaborate patterns to attract the dowdy female. Yet in current society, frequently the grungiest and least-showered males among us are the most likely to snag the supermodel. (Damn-you hipsters and your ironic fashion!) Us girls on the other hand primp, preen, lift, suck and shave ourselves into our closest approximation of the female ideal.

And though the feminist in me cries foul (or fowl), I’m not in the business of battling biology. Boys like boobs. Even smart boys. This isn’t to say that there aren’t different types of girls boys go for, of course there are. It’s also not to say that you have to alter yourself to snag a boy. Obviously, that would be a mistake.

What I’m doing is putting my best outfit forward when I know it will get noticed. And when the competition for cuties is as steep as it is these days, I don’t see anything wrong with that.